Our mission is to educate, engage, and empower individuals, families, and staff members in the conversation about the supports, residential options, and resources that exist today in community living for people with developmental disabilities in New Jersey.
As part of the NJ Olmstead Plan, CLEP places special focus on working alongside families with loved ones residing in developmental centers (institutional living), providing them with the information and support they need to make an informed decision on whether or not to pursue community living.
At the same time, CLEP is dedicated to educating individuals and families at Community Service Waiting List meetings, hosting family learning events, providing training sessions for supports coordination, person-centered thinking and essential lifestyle planning, and continued outreach efforts through publications and social media, while maintaining a standard of integrity and ethics.
CLEP is centered on community outreach by:
- Sharing stories of individuals that have moved from a developmental center into the community
- Showing the possibilities in community living today at events, family meetings, and through print and digital media
- Providing information and guidance to families of people with developmental disabilities who are moving, or exploring the possibility of their family member moving to community living
- Accompanying individuals and families on community provider agency visits to view residential options, services, and supports that are available in community living
- Answering any concerns and questions about community living
Every person living with a developmental disability will know that they have the right to live in a non-institutional setting by educating families and staff on the possibilities in community living.
Our Core Values
- We believe that no matter what challenges an individual faces, anyone can successfully live and be supported in the community with the right supports and services in place.
- We believe that all people have a right to live in communities of their choosing and participate fully in the decisions that affect their lives.
- We believe people are defined by their own strengths, abilities, and intrinsic value and believe in the ability of all people to thrive, not just exist.
- We believe in conducting our mission with the highest standards of honesty, fairness, integrity, and ethics.