Goals and Objectives:
Goal I: Leadership--- To establish UMDNJ-IEHD as a permanent, vital resource for the elimination of health disparities in the state and the nation and in internal efforts toward this end.
1.1 - To develop a sustainable and viable model for the UMDNJ-SPH
- Collect and analyze data on Research center models, e.g. – Infrastructure, staffing, programming and funding sources, etc..
- Communicate findings with Synthesis of information that Promotes a model approach for UMDNJ-IEHD
- Promote and institutionalize a new organizational structure for IEHD
- Advocate for and secure official Board adoption of recommended model for IEHD within the University
- Advocate for and secure integration of IEHD within UMDNJ, in most optimal and cost/benefit effective venue
- Design and develop new public relations materials for IEHD with assistance of UMDNJ Public Affairs Department
- Expand network of IEHD internal stakeholders, leaders and consumers to engage in support of mission and vision of IEHD
1.2 - To secure stable funding support and an internal, integrated institutional role for the institute.
- Develop a funding agenda and plan for IEHD, working with UMDNJ- Foundation and Governmental Affairs Departments to develop short-term and long-term plans to secure financial resources for the operational and strategic initiatives of IEHD.
- Prepare and submit an NIH Center Grant application such as an EXPORT P20 or P60
- Cultivate pharmaceutical company partnerships in research efforts and for funding support of IEHD
- Advocate for sustainability and integration of Institute via internal budgetary considerations, develop cost/benefit position for stable line item in budget for IEHD
1.3 - To establish a "Blue Ribbon" Advisory Board to expand the network of support and funding for IEHD.
- Identify the functions, roles, qualifications necessary for potential Advisory Board members
- Identify and secure resources to support work of Blue Ribbon Advisory Board
- Identify and secure the leadership for the “Blue Ribbon” Advisory Board
- Identify and secure staffing for the “Blue Ribbon Advisory Board
- Solicit Membership to the Board
1.4 - To ensure that IEHD has the appropriate level of staffing and staff skills to further its mission and vision.
- Develop an appropriate internal organizational structure for optimal functioning and sustainability of Institutes as part of review of models
- Develop and implement short-term staffing plan for IEHD
- Strengthen internal infrastructure with recruitment and retention of an Associate Director for the Department
- Identify training/mentoring opportunities in areas of need and ensure staff ability to access and take advantage of opportunities
Goal 2: Research— To promote, facilitate and conduct research that fosters discovery, integration, application and dissemination of knowledge to eliminate health disparities .
2.1 - To provide leadership in Health Disparities Research
- Work with IEHD’s SPRB on assessment of issues, trends and identification of priority areas for research
- Recommend and communicate to internal and external community the IEHD priority areas of disparities research
- Serve as a linkage for UMDNJ wide coordination of research efforts, and the sharing of information on health disparities
- Develop a venue and process for a minimum of two round tables or forums for discussion of research interest across disciplines and department, etc.
- Create a repository of information on disparities research, evaluations and reviews of research, best practices and data sets and links for obtaining pertinent information
- Facilitate research and publication opportunities for researchers in health disparities at UMDNJ
- Establish UMDNJ faculty resource to facilitate minority involvement in clinical trials and research projects
2.2 - To increase the level of awareness and recognition of need for research in health disparities and enhance commitment to research initiatives.
- Facilitate health disparities research through the dissemination of information to UMDNJ faculty, staff and students on selected research opportunities, funding support or publication opportunities
- Develop program to mentor and/or train faculty in health disparities
- Collaborate with NJDHSS Office of Minority and Multicultural Health in promoting and facilitating research opportunities on health disparities through publication of joint position papers and statements, joint convening of activities; and joint dissemination of health disparity information, etc.
2.3 - To serve as a central locus for the conduct of health disparities research at UMDNJ, as principal or co-investigator.
- Initiate and/or participate/collaborate in research initiatives
- Secure funding for research initiatives
- Add to the body of knowledge on health disparities through the publication of IEHD research results
- Disseminate information on IEHD research activities, research forum, research priorities and accomplishments
- To expand faculty involvement in IEHD research and programs through membership enhancement initiatives
Advocacy--- To raise awareness and levels of commitment among policy makers and other stakeholders to effect the promulgation of and dedication to programs, policies and resources for the elimination of health disparities.
3.1 - To monitor and report on the outcomes and impact of national and statewide initiatives for elimination of health disparities.
- Identify key national and statewide trends in addressing health disparities
- Develop reports on outcomes and impact of specific initiatives
- Disseminate and communicate findings of reports to stakeholders and policy makers
- Provide analysis, testimony and recommendations for effecting pertinent statewide policies, regulations, and law as they relate to efforts to address health disparities
- Work with Governmental Affairs department to identify pertinent opportunities for IEHD involvement to affect practices, policy and resources for elimination of health disparities, especially in working with legislators and other decision makers
- To reorganize and revitalize the Community Advisory Board for effective input and feedback in support of IEHD agenda for addressing health disparities
3.1 - To establish the image of IEHD as a statewide resource for expertise and data on health disparities.
- Identify and secure expertise and resources within UMDNJ to participate in speakers bureau
- Coordinate scheduling of speakers upon request
- Maintain high visibility through engagement in statewide issues on health disparities
Goal 4: Education--- To support education, training and information dissemination that enhances UMDNJ faculty and staff capacity to address the elimination of health disparities; to facilitate and enhance practices and programs for community based interventions that address health disparities issues.
4.1 - To provide curricula and training for UMDNJ faculty, students, and staff on health disparities
- Offer course on health disparities
- Conduct seminar series on health disparities and initiate and continuing education credits
4.2 - To respond to community needs for education, training and information related to best practices, community based programs, and interventions for eliminating health disparities.
- Identify community-based organizations engaged in best practices
- Assist community-based organizations in program development and program evaluation
- Collaborate with community based organizations to offer educational forums
- Involve community organizations in information dissemination and education on minority participation in clinical trials.